Wanting to see clearly is more than just a convenience. If you are one of the nearly 8 million people with visual difficulties, wearing glasses or contact lenses is an absolute necessity that is sometimes not enough. Implantable contact lenses (ICL) are one answer that may eliminate the need for glasses. At AakashSuper Specialityhospital, we provide state of the art facilities, our well trained doctors make sure that the patient is given the best possible treatment.
What are Implantable Contact Lenses?
If you can imagine a contact lens on the outside of your eye, you have a good sense for the way contact lens implants work. They are much like contact lenses, in that they focus light onto your retina in a way that makes the images you see much sharper.These implantable lenses are called phakic intra-ocular lenses, meaning lenses for people who still have their natural eye lenses. Your doctor will make a prescription for the lenses that should correct your myopia.
Who all are considered suitable candidates for implantable contact lenses?
If you want surgical vision correction, you must be in good general health and be able to go through the short surgery and a mild recovery period. Visian ICL is not designed to correct age-related vision problems such as presbyopia, so ideal candidates for the procedure are adults under age 45. However, if you initially thought about having LASIK eye surgery and were not listed as a good candidate you may still be able to have the Visian ICL procedure. Reasons for not being thought an appropriate candidate for LASIK include the:
- Severity of your myopia
- Presence of chronic dry eye symptoms
- Shape or thickness of your cornea
- The LASIK eye procedure changes the shape of the cornea to adjust myopia (nearsightedness) or hyperopia (farsightedness). This allows the cornea to focus light better on the retina, resulting in clearer images.
- By comparison, Vision ICL is inserting a contact lens implant into the eye to correct mild to severe myopia. Implantable contact lenses are replaceable should your vision results change, and they do not affect the shape or function of the cornea. The lenses are not felt by the wearer, and cannot be seen by others.
- Designed to be Permanent, Yet is Removable: One of the important advantages of the Visian ICL is that while it can permanently correct your vision, the lens can be simply removed and/or replaced if necessary. Also, concerns involving the cornea typically do not apply to the Visian ICL, as no natural corneal tissue is permanently removed or reshaped in any way during implantation.
- Invisible and Undetectable: Because the Visian ICL is positioned between the iris and natural lens, the lens is invisible to both the patient and any observer. Also, it’s positioning in the eye maintains normal iris function and promotes stability.
- Does Not Cause Dry Eye: Visian ICL does not cause or contribute to dry eyes. If you have dry eyes, ask your doctor if the Visian ICL may be the best vision correction option for you.
- Short Recovery Time: The recovery for the Visian ICL is quick and pain-free, and may be as little as one day, due to the very small size of the opening required. Patients typically experience minimal discomfort, and many times go back to work the next day.
- UV Protection: Long-term exposure to UV radiation can damage your eyes; and longer term or more intense exposure increases the chance of eye disorders including the development of cataracts and some retinal problems. As an added feature, the Visian ICL advanced lens material contains a UV blocker that actually prevents harmful UVA and UVB rays from entering the eye, possibly preventing the development of UV related eye disorders.
- Treatment Flexibility for the Future: Your vision changes as you grow older and eventually almost everyone will need cataract surgery. An important benefit with the Visian ICL is that you have options for future treatments. Because Visian ICL maintains the structure of the eye, the lens can be removed and replaced if your vision changes substantially, or if you have another procedure at any time.
- Excellent Safety Profile: The Visian ICL has an excellent safety profile compared to other procedures. Studies have shown that the Visian ICL provides one of the best postoperative results of all refractive procedures available with a patient satisfaction rate of over 99%. Since 1997, more than a quarter of a million Visian ICL procedures have been performed worldwide.
During a consultation, your eye doctor will help you determine if the Visian ICL correction is appropriate for your needs.Women who are pregnant or nursing should wait to have the ICL implanted. Lastly, those without a large enough anterior chamber depth or endothelial cell density may not be a good ICL candidate.
Visian ICL vs LASIK Eye Surgery:
While not everyone has heard of Visian ICL for vision correction, many people have heard of LASIK eye surgery. These two procedures are both used to correct mild to moderate vision problems, but they are very different approaches to vision correction.
What are the benefits of Visian Implantable contact lenses?
There are several benefits to Visian ICL:
What is the procedure?
ICL is a simple procedure.During your ICL procedure, the implantable contact lens will be inserted between the iris and natural lens of your eye. When it is time to implant the lenses, the surgeon places a gel into the eye to protect against any damage during the surgery. The surgeon makes very small incisions in the cornea to allow the placement of a tiny cartridge that holds the ICL. After the lens unfolds completely, the surgeon tucks the corners of the lens behind the iris, so that the lens becomes completely invisible. The surgeon then makes one small incision in the iris (the colored part of the eye) to allow fluid to circulate around the lens. The process for each eye takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
Is any post-operative care required?
Patients are required to attend regular after care appointments the first year after treatment; these are included in the cost of your treatment. There is no other maintenance required but it is usually recommended that one should have an eye examination every year.