All our bodily functions are directed by the brain. Our eyes also receive and send signals to the brain which further perceives a visual image stored by our eyes. Neuro-ophthalmology is a specialisation related with both neurology and ophthalmology. A neuro-phthalmologist takes care of eye problems related to the nerves system. The optic nerves, if damaged or stressed may result in malfunction causing visual impairment and in some cases loss of vision which is beyond repair.
But, you need not to worry, at Aakash Healthcare Super Speciality Hospital; you will find answer to all your problems. All you have to do is be a little aware about your symptoms and visit your eye specialist on regular basis. Even if you have a perfect vision till now, a visit to our ophthalmology department is advised in case of following symptoms:
- Persistent headache without any illness or reason
- Double vision
- Difficulty in facing light
- A less reactive pupil
- Difficulty in identifying colours
Would I need a surgery?
Visiting a neuro-ophthalmologist does not imply that you will have to go for an eye surgery. Mostly eye related problems are treated with medicines also.
What all neuro disorders will be taken care by a neuro-ophthalmologist?
Your eye-specialist may refer you to a neuro-ophthalmologist in case of following conditions:
- Diabetic Retinopathy: In this condition, the optic nerve gets affected due to increase blood sugar. This condition may affect your retina and is quite common in patients with type I and type II diabetes. In order to treat this condition, the doctor may first manage your diabetes before going for a corrective surgery.
- Papilloedema: This condition may occur in case of a tumor (which may have developed inside the skull) putting pressure on the optic nerve resulting in visual impairment. The doctors will focus on treating the tumor which may relieve the pressure on the optic nerve.
- Optic Neuritis: Any infection may lead to inflammation of the optic nerve. This condition may also develop in case of autoimmune disease.
- Nutritional Optic Neuropathy: This condition is caused by deficiency of vitamin B-complex or folic acid. People who are addicted to alcohol or tobacco may also diagnosed with this condition.